Powered by Blogger.

How To Organize Your Laptop Files


Happy Sunday!

I want to start with honestly admitting that I'm not super organized, often times my files are scattered on my desktop then I organize them whenever I feel the need to, like after 3 months. Since I'm an achiever (in some things), recently this week I made a to-do-list (shocking) and it finally worked for me which means I achieved them all. Of course, organizing my files is on the list. I've already done it and I'm pretty satisfied with the result.

Since I'm pretty satisfied of the outcome, I decided to share the tips and things I did to organize my files to you guys because I know there are lots of people out there who are too lazy to organize their files (like me). But before that, I want to clarify that I'm no expert, I'm just going to generously share what I did and hope someone finds it helpful.

No. 1 : CLEAR OUT YOUR DESKTOP

Having too much apps/software on your desktop screen is pretty stressful and looks messy. We don't want that right? On my desktop screen, I only have my Recycle Bin folder as it can't be removed from the desktop. Maximum of 5 files on your desktop screen is acceptable. Clean desktop is also pleasant to the eyes, I promise it will improve your mood during your work time. Plus, neat desktop will give justice to your fancy wallpaper. I also add sticky notes on my desktop for little reminders. But don't go overboard by the sticky notes. As for me,  I only have 1-3 sticky notes on my desktop.

No. 2 : PIN COMMONLY USED/IMPORTANT SOFTWARE ON TASK BAR

As for me, I commonly use more than 5 software everyday, of course, it's going to hustle you if you have to search for the software before you're able to use it. Since I don't want to stress myself that much, I pin my commonly used software on the task bar. It's easier to find and it looks neat because it doesn't scatter all over the desktop screen.

No. 3FANCY FOLDER ICONS

I actually found this out from one of my follower on twitter. Thanks Seeta Jain! I got really excited and spent two days learning how to do it (I was shy to ask her). Don't worry, it's really easy and fun. But if you got lots of files like I do, then you have to free your schedule for the next 6 hours. You can search "folder icons" on Google. There are so many artists in Deviantart that share their crafts. IconArchive.com and MegaIcons.com have lots of icons that you can browse on as well.

For example, I organized my Videos this way. If you want the full package of movie categories I got, just click here. There are also other packs available on Deviantart for free.

Videos > Movies > Categories > Movie files


No. 4RELEVANT/PRECISE FOLDER NAME
I name my files based on the event or date. As for the event, for example; Istanbul Fashion Week 2016, not Fashion Week, but if you are attending the event every year, might as well consider; Istanbul Fashion Week > 2016.

Example of Folder Name by date:
Pictures > High School > 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Year > August 29, 2013

No. 5 : SUBFOLDERS

Doing subfolders is very helpful and organized. I'm a huge fan of this, I pretty sort all my files like these because I find it neat and pleasant to look at, because before there are way too much files on my Documents like PDF, lecture photos, lecture documents, homeworks, research papers, thesis and it stressed my nerves out so I decided to set mostly all of my files by subfolders. And please move the files on the right category, I know you already know that, but I'm just reminding you.

Example for Blogging files:
Documents > Love, Fads > Blog posts - Photos 
                                                               Blog posts > Article - Topics 
                                                                                           Article > Beauty - Fashion - Lifestyle - Food - Personal
                                                              Photos > Template Accessories - Random Blog Photos - Flatlays

Article, of course this folder is composed of documents of my blog posts drafts, while on Topics, ideas and random blog post topics that came up from different bloggers and myself. Template accessories consists of header designs, free graphics, and others. Random Blog Photos is a folder for all the photos I took that I thought is worth blogging. Flatlays, this is pretty self explanatory. To sum it up, just name your folder relevantly based on the file.

No. 6 : DELETE UNNECESSARY FILES

Girl, if you feel like you don't need that picture of apple on your documents then you can freely delete it. Please delete unnecessary files because they're useless and a waste of space. Well if you think that you don't need it for now, save it on another folder called Random. As much as possible keep your files tidy.

I just want to add that after I fix and organized my files. I clean up the remaining junks by 360 Total Security. It's my sister who downloaded this software and my laptop speed improved and pop-ups doesn't bug me anymore. So I highly recommend this because it scans and repairs virus, speed up your laptop's system, and clean up junks.

So these are the things I did to organize my files. I hope these tips can help some of you.

How's your weekend, by the way?
Love, Fads

65 comments

  1. thanks for the tips! found this post is really helpful for me personally. because my laptop desktop is very messy and i usually lazy to organize it.
    have a great wday
    xx,
    http://evelyn-halim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm glad you found it helpful. Haha! That's alright, just follow the tips.

      Delete
  2. I love all of your tips! I am so horrible at organizing my desktop. I have million folders and things going on there, haha. I need to clean it out and I like your idea of making fun folders covers. I'll need to try it.

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leta. Oh no, go ahead and clean them out now before your laptop corrupts. Yes, I really enjoyed changing my folders into fancy ones. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. These are really good tips, organising your laptop files is essential for organising your life! I also got a folder called 'Random', I think we all do haha. And I am the worst at naming files and especially pictures, I got files called 'Final' and 'Final1' etc haha it's really bad. I didn't know there were fancy icons, I'll look into this. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Mira. Haha! I knew I wasn't the only one. Oh no, it's time for you to organize it!

      Delete
  4. great tips!
    xoxo
    Patinka
    www.patinkasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to organize my desktop at least once a week, makes me feel much better and organized! It only tends to get messy when taking pictures for a blog post actually! Thanks for these tips, the movie categories look great!

    Yousra | Mystic Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, that's pretty impressive. I know right! Me as well. You're welcome, glad you liked it.

      Delete
  6. Ahh thanks for the important tips, I need to do this asap, this duty has been delayed for many weeks out of my laziness. But thanks for reminding me :)

    Kisses Ashon
    http://ashonfashionary.com/boyfriend-shirt-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Oh no, you have to do it now. It's an honor to remind you, haha.

      Delete
  7. This is a great post, It reminded me that I have to do just this! I have so much revision material just saved randomly on my computer!x

    AimeeSueXO
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aimee. Go ahead, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. These are wonderful tips! I need to get organized. Great post!

    http://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The folder icon bit is SO helpful! I never knew about it and I plan to re-read this post when I have some more free time so I can implement all of these tips, because my organization is a mess lol. Great post xx

    istylelooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'm so glad you found it helpful. That's alright, tell me about it when it's done. Thank you, KC.

      Delete
  10. This is the best advice ever ? I literally have like so many different folders but I have trouble organizing it x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Oh that's alright, but it's time for you organize it soon.

      Delete
  11. Gosh this post really reminded me that I seriously need to clean up my desktop. I've got so many folders on there!

    Lizzie Bee // mysticthorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! No way, please do clean up your desktop. It's like a MUST.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this! I badly need this because my desktop was really full right now. So space left. Hehehe, i am really lazy when it comes to saving files to it's right places. This reminds me to clean my laptop right away :) Thank you so much! :)

    -Nicole The Unrealistic Realist Bella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! You really have to clean it up, I'm glad you found my post to remind you, haha. You're welcome, lovely.

      Delete
  13. Organisation is everythink! Thank your for those useful tips!

    XX,
    Melissa from http://roseoffashion.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for dropping by, Melissa.

      Delete
  14. I am usually pretty organized, but my laptop files are a mess. It is the horror whenever I search for older blog pictures... I will take inspiration and get organizing next weekend.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Been there. Yes, get all the inspo you can get. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  15. great ideas dear...love them...

    http://jehanmohammad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well this post has certainly encouraged me to clean up my laptop. I got a Macbook Air a couple of years ago and am still fumbling around with the new setup - time to get everything in order (and uh, learn how to haha), thanks girl! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this post pretty helpful. Good luck on cleaning them up!

      Delete
  17. Oh i'm so happy something organising their laptop too. i thought I''m the only one x
    Yuliya at Yukova Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips darling! ^-^
    I 'm not so organised too and these advices can be very useful, especially the one to name the files with relevant names!
    Thank you so much!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips thank you x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips! I definitely need to delete some unnecessary files from my laptop.

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a helpful post, thank you for sharing! I really needed this, especially as I just started organizing my files ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it helpful. And I'm so happy I'm on time! Haha.

      Delete
  22. When I first discovered how to change the folder icons, I had SO MUCH fun with that!!! I think I might play around with that some more :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clearing up your desktop is DEFINITELY number 1! After ever project that I complete, I find myself staring at the huge mess that I created on my desktop and it just makes you feel sloppy! Lovely tips~

    Passion Blog | BCfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES PLEASE. I know right! Thanks, I'm glad you loved it.

      Delete
  24. These are great tips! Thank you for sharing
    Xo
    Jeanie
    www.thefashionlotus.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are great tips! I love having all organized :D
    The Fancy Cats | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  26. My laptop is in such a need of a cleanse! I'm normally fairly good about keeping my desktop clean, but when it gets to the middle of the semester, it always gets a bit cluttered. I'll have to get around to decluttering soon!

    Via Sora

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great tips, thanks for sharing! x

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the organizational reminders here! It is so important to stay on top of these things, especially when you're a blogger with thousands of photos haha!

    Best,
    Christina

    Looks by Lau

    ReplyDelete
  29. interesting article, very helpful
    NEW POST ON MY BLOG
    <<< fashion blogger italia >>>
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  30. Having subfolders is a necessity for me! I cannot stand having more than 10 things in a folder merely because I know that I can easily categorize them further. It bugs me as well when people have a cluttered desktop! Thanks for sharing your tips :)

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok these tips are amazing! My files are in need of a serious clean up- my computer is like a junk yard

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips! I really need to do some of these,.. I just never seem to get round to it! Typical x

    VanessaVonJames | Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. YAY THANKS FOR THESE TIPS!!! I really really really need to start cleaning my files since I just finished college lol. Need to trash more files hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love organizing and decluttering. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete